Friday 21 April 2017

Trade Team

Last week I wrote a comment on a friend's blog. Luckily he found it of use and kindly put it up as a blog post of its own, you can read it here if you're interested. On this occasion, I haven't reblogged his post as it felt silly to have three versions of exactly the same thing rattling around the internet. However, the exercise got me thinking about the continuing struggles we all go through when learning to trade and things I'd like to do to combat them.




trader / athlete

Image result for athletes team training

I often think of traders as aspiring professional athletes; hours and hours per day training, extremely strict routines, diet, mindset, psychology, studying etc. But the difference between the two professions is the distinct lack of support even professional traders have. Athletes have coaches for technique, coaches for strategy, coaches for routine, dieticians, physios, psychotherapists, training partners and teammates at their disposal every day! Even hedge funds and investment banks don't provide this kind of support to their traders.

I rarely mention it here but I was an amateur boxer for many years and I am now (after quite some time off) training at an MMA gym with an idea to compete at some point in the future. At my gym, I have unlimited lessons, 3 Brazilian Jiu Jitsu coaches, an MMA coach, a Muay Thai coach, a Boxing coach, a Wrestling coach, a Judo coach and a Strength and Conditioning coach. I get one-to-one coaching for an hour a week and I have 200+ training partners and 50+ teammates (those who are looking to pursue fighting). For all this, I pay £230 per month (the private sessions are what drive the cost up). But even so, this is extremely cheap when you think of all the support that is available to me.

Having said all this, what I would say is that in terms of progress, every part is equally important. You, of course, need your coaches to instruct you but you have to have your training partners to drill with and teammates to encourage you. Without them, you wouldn't last long. It's a hard sport that is designed to make you quit, a bit like trading really.


trade team

Image result for team

As traders, I doubt we will ever be able to get the same amount of support that is available to sportsmen and women but like my trading coach has always said, we could be far more effective in the way we utilise each other. I think much of what is lost in trading is the comradeship of a team, too often we fall into a slightly competitive mindset with each other, most likely due to the nature of the game we play. 

When I wrote my comment on my friend's blog I wanted to be his teammate. I wanted him to feel like someone had his back and would go to war with him. This is the feeling you get when you're in a fight team, you train with each other, you sweat together, struggle together and win together. We're honest when someone's doing something wrong, encouraging when they're doing something right and playfully competitive when you're able to be.

Going forward I would like to pursue this idea of building a "trade-team". A band of traders who go to war together. It's great to share victories and commiserate losses, however, I feel often when you need the support is when you're in the trade. In the midst, is often when you most need an objective friend, to either encourage you to continue with the game plan or tell you it is no longer working and to change tactics.

If anyone is interested in this trade team mentality drop me a comment below.

1 comment:

  1. I tend to trade solo and always will. Just my style. But a team to exchange fundamentals and such like...that is something I miss,

    ReplyDelete